Canberra Theatre Centre is Canberra’s premier performing arts venue, providing world class performing arts and entertainment to the people of Canberra and surrounding regions.
From canberratheatrecentre.com.au: Canberra Theatre Centre offers a number of access and special assistance services, which include the following:
Audio described performances
Audio description is an innovation for sight-impaired patrons. Audio Describers provide live description of essential visual information for people who are blind or visually impaired. Select performances will be described by trained volunteers from Vision Australia, this service is complimentary. Discreet receivers are available for collection prior to the performance and our staff will happily show you how to adjust them for your use. To access this service check to see if the show advertises Audio Described Performance dates or visit the access diary. Alternatively you can contact the Box Office or complete the online access enquiry form to make a booking.
A guided tour of the set for blind and vision impaired patrons. This service is available to select shows. Please check to see if the show advertises Tactile Tour dates or visit the access diary. Alternatively you can contact Canberra Ticketing if you would like to utilise this service.
Select performances at the Canberra Theatre Centre are live captioned by The Captioning Studio for patrons who are deaf or hearing impaired. The on-stage dialogue is displayed in real-time on screens in the auditorium or if preferred on your own smartphone or tablet device, click here for more information. The Centre has a limited number of iPod Touches for loan through the cloak room. Seat selection for live captioning is recommended towards the front of the stage and our Box Office staff will be able to assist you with choosing a seat which ensures good viewing. To access this service check to see if which shows advertises Live Captioning and contact Canberra Ticketing or complete the online access enquiry form to make a booking.
FM radio assisted hearing units
Canberra Theatre Centre provides an FM Radio Assisted Hearing Units for patrons who require hearing assistance. The FM system amplifies and improves sound quality through the headset provided or the user plugging their own neck loop into the unit. Discreet receivers are available for collection prior to the performance from the front of house staff. The FM Hearing Unit is available for all performances and to access this service you can request in advance or request at the show, however, you should allow additional time prior to the start of the performance for the collection of the receiver. * The access services below are available for all performances.
A hearing loop for foyer announcements and enjoying forums and speeches operates throughout The Link foyer and foyer space of the Canberra Theatre. Please note that Box Office and toilets are not covered by the loop system. The system is accessible via hearing aids with a telephone setting, please note reception quality and levels may vary according to the age and type of hearing aid.
If you require mobility assistance please contact our Canberra Ticketing so that we can accommodate your needs. Please let us know if you need to access seating at the end of a row or if you need to avoid stairs by completing the special seating request form or by contacting Canberra Ticketing by phone or in person. Unfortunately we are unable to provide special assistance when you book tickets online because the system automatically allocates the best available seats without taking your access needs into account. There is lift access to the first balcony in The Playhouse, but no lift access to the second balcony.
Canberra Theatre Centre subscribes to the ACT Government's Companion Card scheme for people who require a companion. This means anyone issued with an official Companion Card is able to purchase a ticket to attend the theatre with their companion also attending for free essentially two tickets for the price of one. You must mention that you are purchasing under this scheme when booking. Companion Card bookings can only be made in person at Canberra Ticketing or via phone. This service is not available over the internet. To learn more about the Companion Card, click here to see their website.
Special seating requests
Please let us know if you need special assistance with your seating including audio description, mobility or hearing assistance. Unfortunately we are unable to provide special assistance at present when you book tickets online because the system automatically allocates the best available seats without taking your access needs into account. Please complete the special seating request form online so that we can get in touch with you, or contact Canberra Ticketing by phone or in person.
Further InformationGeneral accessibility features:
Mobility accessibility features:
- Wheelchair accessible rooms
- Accessible booking options
- Online booking options
- Disabled parking access
- Accessible public transport nearby
- Clear signage denoting accessibility
- Accessible payment and other interactive facilities
- Accessible toilet
- Accessibility aware and friendly staff
- Level or ramp access to front entrance
- Paths wide and not slippery
- Level door threshold
- Straight and wide approach throughout
- Automatic or easy open doors
- Alternative access arrangements (if necessary)
- Lift access to all levels
- Level flooring throughout
- Wide aisles and walkways
- Lowered accessible counters
- Bathroom - accessible sink
- Bathroom - accessible soap
- Bathroom - accessible hand dryer
- Toilet - accessible grab rails
- Toilet - accessible toilet flush
Vision accessibility features:
- Single disabled parking access and drop-off zone at rear entrance.
- Audio description services
- Sufficient lighting
- Directional Tactile Ground Surface Indicators
- No overhanging or protruding signage or other obstacles
- Large print or high contrast menus and other signage
- Audible or textured signals for bathrooms or bins
Hearing accessibility features:
- Text-based service description available online.
- Fold-out screen, television and iPod live captioning services available
through Captioning Australia (select performances).
- Guided tactile ‘tours’ available (select performances).
- Lights and audio in theatre can be adjusted.
- Hearing loop or infrared assisted listening system
- Welcomes calls from TTY devices
- Captioning services
- Sufficient lighting (to enable lip reading and facial cues)
Intellectual/Social accessibility features:
- Audio-described performances available through volunteers with Vision
- Australia (select performances; requires prior notice)
- FM radio assisted hearing units available (all performances)
- Audio induction (hearing) loop in foyer for announcements, etc (box office, toilets not included).
Autism/Sensory accessibility features:
- Information available in various types
- Flexibility of the 'rules'
Autism/Sensory accessibility further information:
- Information available in various types
- Flexibility of the 'rules'
Looking to incorporate sensory integration experiences into select performances.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.