From the Visit Canberra website: The Canberra and Region Visitors Centre sits within the Regatta Point precinct, boasting one of Canberra’s best views. Look out over Lake Burley Griffin towards a range of iconic national attractions including Parliament House, the National Gallery of Australia, the National Library of Australia and Questacon. Chat to the friendly staff and volunteers. They’re a wealth of local knowledge, offering valuable insights to help you get the most from your stay. Whether it’s a last-minute accommodation deal or tips about cool new cafes. Canberra’s official and fully accredited tourism information centre is operated by VisitCanberra for the benefit of tourists and locals.
Disabled parking access: There are three disabled carparking spaces located 200m from the main entrance of the facility.
Accessible payment facilities: The eftpos machine is wireless, making it accessible to all.
Accessibility aware staff: All staff are very helpful and friendly and have training in First Aid & CPR, Responsible Service of Alcohol and three are trained fire wardens. The staff also have an on the floor policy, meaning they walk around the facility to provide any assistance required to patrons. The displays in the middle of the floor are on wheels and are moved by the staff if they are made aware that there will be more than one patron in a wheelchair to make the facility easier to move around. There is also a wheelchair available for patrons upon request.
Booking: The facility is free. The centre has a bookings desk where bookings for accommodation/ticketed events can be made online and visitors can also create, email and print their own itineraries with staff assistance. The desk has removable chairs with and the desk is at a height that a wheelchair can slide under.
Assistance animals: Are welcome within the facility.
Accessible public transport nearby: It is a six-minute walk to the nearest bus stop which is located on Commonwealth Avenue.General accessibility features:
Mobility accessibility features:
- Wheelchair accessible rooms
- Accessible booking options
- Online booking options
- Assistance animal welcome
- Disabled parking access
- Clear signage denoting accessibility
- Accessible payment and other interactive facilities
- Accessible toilet(s)
- Accessibility aware and friendly staff
- Additional equipment available on request
Mobility accessibility further information:
- Level or ramp access to front entrance
- Paths wide and not slippery
- Level door threshold
- Automatic or easy open doors
- Level flooring throughout
- Wide aisles and walkways
- Lowered accessible counters
- Sufficient clearance for wheelchairs under tables
- Wheelchair hire available
- Bathroom - accessible sink
- Bathroom - accessible soap
- Bathroom - accessible hand dryer
- Toilet - accessible grab rails
- Toilet - accessible toilet flush
Accessible bathroom facilities: The disabled toilet room is 2750mm x 1740mm which allows for wheelchair circulation space. The door to the toilets is around a corner and to the right. The door has a width of 840mm. There is a grab rail that is 840mm from the ground and 240mm from the toilet that goes around the back of the toilet and wraps around along the wall to the right side of the toilet. The flush buttons are large and on the wall behind the toilet.
Easy open door: There is a button to press that opens the door automatically. The button is located 900mm from the ground and to the right of the door. Within the toilet there are lock and open door buttons that are on the left hand side and are also approximately 900mm from the ground.
Soap: The manual soap dispenser is 900mm from the ground.
Bathroom mirrors: The mirror is 900mm form the ground and is fixed to the wall.
Hand dryer: There is no hand dryer, however, there is paper towel that on a shelf 900mm from the ground.
Adult change facilities: There are no adult change facilities in the accessible toilets.Vision accessibility features:
- Audio description services
- Textured or coloured flooring at entrance and different level surfaces
- Sufficient lighting
- No overhanging or protruding signage or other obstacles
Service/product descriptions available online: The website is text and image based. Software to convert text to speech is not available on the desktop computers within the facility.
Textured/coloured flooring: The area between the first door of entry and the second to the facility is carpeted with metal strips embedded in it that run horizontally along the carpet. The surface throughout the rest of the facility is polished concrete.
Sufficient lighting: Lighting is sufficient throughout the facility and around service counters. There are skylights in the roof with blinds that can be raised or lowered to allow more light in.Hearing accessibility features:
- Sufficient lighting (to enable lip reading and facial cues)
Hearing accessibility: There are no hearing loops within the centre as they are not required. The centre also does not provide sign language/interpretative services.
Sufficient lighting: There is sufficient lighting throughout the facility and around service counters. There is no strong lighting behind the staff to enable lip reading.Other accessibility information:
- All staff are trained in first aid & CPR, responsible service of alcohol and three are trained fire wardens.
- Displays in the middle of the floor are on wheels and can be moved if needed. However, the space was designed with wide pathways in mind so that it will be accessible for people in wheelchairs at all times.
- Most of the merchandise stands are at an accessible height, however some items are high up out of reach. Staff are on the floor rather than behind counters and are available if assistance is needed.
- The Centre has a bookings desk where staff can assist in the creation of an itinerary, book certain events and accommodation. The desk has removable chairs in which a wheelchair can slide under. The Centre plans to make more attractions available to book via their website, with a new booking system being integrated soon.
- There is a kids play area which contains bean bags, tables and chairs and display screens.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.