“The United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., is a symbol of the American people and their government, the meeting place of the nation’s legislature. The Capitol also houses an important collection of American art, and it is an architectural achievement in its own right. It is a working office building as well as a tourist attraction visited by millions every year.”
General accessibility features:
Service animals are allowed in the Visitor Center and the Capitol.
Mobility accessibility features:
- Assistance animal welcome
- Wheelchair hire available
Vision accessibility features:
Wheelchairs may be requested from Capitol Visitor Center staff wearing red vests or at one of the Information Desks in Emancipation Hall.
- Audio description services
- Large print or high contrast menus and other signage
- Listening devices with audio description of the orientation film and exhibition are available at the Information Desks in Emancipation Hall. An audio-descriptive tour of Exhibition Hall provides visitors who are blind or have low vision with a self-guided experience of the Capitol Visitor Center’s exhibits.
- The nearly three-hour descriptive narration is available on a handheld device which visitors may request at the North Information Desk in Emancipation Hall. Visitors may also download the audio-descriptive tour onto a personal device.
- There is no cost associated with using the handheld device or downloading the tour. As documents are changed in the display cases, the tour will be revised accordingly.
Hearing accessibility features:
Copies of all Capitol Visitor Center brochures in alternative formats (large print, braille, HTML) are available at the Information Desks.
- Welcomes calls from TTY devices
- Sign language assistance or interpretation services
Sign language interpretation for tours is available when booked in advance. All films have open captioning.
A public TTY is located near one of the gift shops on the Upper Level.
- Both the Senate and House have accessible Galleries which include televisions with closed-captioning.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.